Friday, July 27, 2012

What is Sex Exactly?


     Defining sex is not so easy. When you think about it, there are many answers. Our book tells us that “sex refers to the biological and anatomical differences between females and males” [TL1/PG348]. This is the scientific evidence that explains the X chromosome, the Y chromosome, the hormones, and so on and so forth. So does this really define male and female? What if someone was born with male sex organs, but was self perceived as a female, also known as a transsexual? If he walks like a female, dresses as a female, has the same mannerisms as a female, but also has a penis, is he lying to himself and everyone else? Should a person have the right to define him or her self as transvestites do? The text’s definition of a transvestite is “a male who lives as a woman or a female who lives as a man but does not alter the genitalia” [TL2/PG351]. This is a conflict in gender identity, and can be recognized as early as preschool. There are some instances in which the sexually defining genitalia is ambiguous or incomplete. Hermaphrodites have either one incomplete, or a little of both incomplete sex organs. There will never be one conclusion for each of these questions. I feel that the answers are in the hearts and minds of the individuals, and the technical aspect can be left to science and the United States Census Bureau.
Gender Rules
     Gender is different from sex that has been described earlier. “Gender refers to the culturally and socially constructed differences between females and males found in the meanings, beliefs, and practices associated with “femininity” and “masculinity” [TL3/PG352]. For the most part, we are never really told by our parents what sex we are. We don’t know what our little parts are or what they are for, just that we go to the bathroom from there and they are very private. Generally, little girls are taught to act like little girls and little boys are taught to act like little boys. Our gender roles develop through socialization. Kids are influenced by peers, teachers, schools, sports, and mass media. This was an issue for me as a little girl beginning at about age 3. I adored my brother. He was four years older than I, so we were closer in age than I was with my sister. She and I had a ten year age difference so I thought everything that she did and liked was disgusting and I wanted nothing to do with it. I would try my hardest to embarrass her when her friends were around by reporting the sounds that come from the bathroom when she was in there, or what exactly was under that foundation makeup on her face. My brother on the other hand, was my idol. He and I saw eye to eye. I loved playing with his toys and watching the same cartoons that were geared toward little boys. My legs and elbows looked like I had been through a meat grinder as my mother would say. I always tried to emulate his bicycle jumps and skateboard tricks. Mom would try so desperately to make me into a “little girl”. She would make me wear dresses with bows in my hair, only for me to rip out the bows and slip on some shorts under the dress when she wasn’t looking. I didn’t necessarily think that I was a boy; I just wanted to be one. Around age 12, I had begun to outgrow the tomboy stage, and began to appreciate all of the “gender appropriate” articles that my mother had been hoping that I would conform to. I guess I noticed it when I caught myself thinking that one of my brother’s friends was cute.
Sexism and Gender Inequality is Everywhere
     Sexism is a form of discrimination. “Sexism is the subordination of one sex, usually female, based on the assumed superiority of the other sex” [TL4/PG354]. Men can also be victims of sexism, but it’s generally women that experience the short end of the stick. (No pun intended.) I feel that sexism and gender inequality really go hand in hand. In the workplace for example, when a man reaches his middle age, has gray hair, and a few wrinkles, he’s considered to be at his prime. Society makes middle aged women feel “over the hill”. Ad campaigns make their multimillions of dollars by pointing out every flabby spot, extra pound, wrinkle, and gray hair in women. It has even become a health problem in many young women as well in regards to eating disorders. We have seen those skeletons on the magazine covers.
Behind Who?
     While women have made a significant impact on laws and progress in the work force in the past 50 or 60 years or so, there is still a long way to go. “Although women continue to narrow the pay gap, women earn about 79 cents for every dollar compared with men” [TL5/PG378]. Doesn’t sound right, does it? Women are beautiful, and should be admired as such, no matter the size, shape, or color. You know that funny bumper sticker that says, “Behind every good man is a good woman”? Why don’t we try standing next to him instead?
     

1 comment:

  1. Are you looking to make cash from your visitors by popup advertisments?
    In case you do, have you ever used Pop Cash?

    ReplyDelete

Labels

Essays (18) Instructions (12) Lectures (13) pet (1) pictures (78) Videos (20)